For those who have an interest - even if only a passing one - in the sometimes bizarre activities of Scotland's Top Mind Master, DREW McADAM.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

October 2007

Hello again!

(If you receive this it's because we've had some dealings in the past, you're a personal friend, I bumped into you in a pub, or because you've expressed an interest in receiving the newsletter… or all of the above. However, if you have no wish to receive further issues - just hit reply and enter "unsubscribe" in the subject box. I won't take offence!)

Because I meet so many fascinating individuals in my line, it’s impossible to keep in touch with all of you – more’s the pity. This newsletter is my way of doing so. But it’s not much use if you don’t drop me a wee note back to let me know what YOU are up to. So PLEASE do – I really want to know. It’s important to me. Okay?

Thank you.

www.drewmcadam.co.uk

I’m keeping this one short – busy, busy busy.

GREAT FEW DAYS AWAY.
I had a wonderful time Doon Sooth. I headed off to see Stonehenge, and got lost on the way, ending up in Aylesbury instead of Avesbury. Still, who cares?! It was a fantastic, realxing, interesting time. What more can you ask for?

HERE’S SOMETHING WORTH WATCHING:
The documentary X-Alps, The World’s Most Extreme Race, will be shown on BBC 2 Scotland on Tuesday October the 30th at 7pm. A paragliding chum of mine, Ulric Jessop and his wife Ruth, took part in the X-Alps earlier this year. Now the result is to be shown… but only on BBC2 (Scotland.)

Now, the BAD news is, it’s only being shown in Scotland – and one needs to ask why. The slightly better news is that you should be able to se it on SKY Channel 990. However, for those of you who live somewhere other than in Bonnie Scotland, or don’t have SKY, if you wait till later in the week (and for one week only) you can watch it here… http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/player/?item=tv_and_radio

The programme should appear amongst the list of programmes on the right hand side of the screen. Anyone can view the programme on demand for 7 days after the transmission.

Please, DO watch it. I am certain you will find it truly fascinating.

ALL HAIL TO TERRY STEVENS…
who is in Zambia on a sponsored march… I received a quick email which told me he had fallen out of a raft and swallowed half the Zambezi River – other than that, he’s still going! Well done, mate!

LET THERE BE LIGHT… PLEASE.
The fluorescent light strip in my office wasn’t working one morning so I set off to the ironmongers (a territory unfamiliar to me). What size? The shopkeeper wanted to know. I had no idea, but I guessed at 5 feet. Back to the office. Wrong… back to the ironmonger. I picked up the 6foot version and went back to the office, put it in and… nothing. So, I managed to get the little started thingy out… back to the ironmonger. “It’s unlikely it’s the starter… are you sure you put the tube in right” I drew him a withering glance. “I’m not THAT stupid!” Back to the office… where I found the light strip lying on the floor in pieces…

AN INTERESTING EXPERIMENT.
I had taken my GPS unit on my trip down south this month so that I could use it in the hired car (By the way – ALWAYS take out the extra insurance when hiring a car… long story.) On the flight back, I got to wondering if a GPS unit would work on a ‘plane. Apart from anything else, I’d be able to follow my route. I switched it on (made sure the voice direction function was off. Apart from anything else, I have Ozzy Osbourne on mine and I didn’t want him yelling out “Turn left, and take the *#bleep#* motorway!” I also have the thing at full volume because I like to drive with the music LOUD! I then held the unit to the window to see if I could get a signal.

Well, yes, you can. Unfortunately, my unit has ANOTHER function that bleeps (and it sounds EXACTLY like the “bongs” on an aircraft when you pres the button to call the stewardess.) whenever you approach a speed trap area.

Well scooting through dozens of GATZOs at over 400 miles an hour produced a LOT of “bongs” in quick succession… and in my fumbling, do you think I could switch the damned thing off? Well, yes, eventually.

THIS MONTH AND NEXT.
I’d like to say hello to all the people I met at my recent gigs who are now on this newsletter. Gigs included the Holiday Inn, Edinburgh, More talks and planning with BBC Scotland, the Marine Hotel in Troon, Creiff Hydro and the very posh Marcliffe Hotel in Aberdeen.

Even as I finish this newsletter, I am preparing to get up at 5am tomorrow morning to fly to Manchester for a trade show, from here I will be going straight to Southampton for a further two days of trade shows, and then Norton House Hotel, Edinburgh. Later on there is a gig in Cardiff, then a flight straight back to Edinburgh where I clamber in to my car and head straight up to Old Meldrum, just north of Aberdeen. I also have a gig in Aviemore (and I’m meeting up with the sleddogs during their training in the mountains the next morning) then theirs a gig at The Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh, and then a private party for the lovely Julie Anderson in Whitburn.

Other than that, my time is my own!

Anyway, DO let me know how you are getting on – and don’t forget to watch Ulric and Ruth – by whatever means necessary – and I will catch up with you all next month!

Best wishes,

Drew McAdam

No comments: