For those who have an interest - even if only a passing one - in the sometimes bizarre activities of Scotland's Top Mind Master, DREW McADAM.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

September 2007

THIS MONTH….

LOADS OF JOKES (short ones!)
MARC BOLAN AND NORMAN TAMBLIN
EDDIE McGILL
PAUL BROOK
SAM MacKAY
BOB DYLAN
SUSAN CRAIGMILLE
ULRIC JESSOP
MARK TOWNSEND – PRIEST
URI GELLER AND CRISS ANGEL - PHENOMENON


Two hunters got a pilot to fly them to Canada to hunt moose. They bagged six. As they started loading the plane for the return trip, the pilot said the plane could take only four moose. The two lads objected strongly. ”Last year we shot six, and the pilot let us put them all on board. He had the same plane as yours." Reluctantly, the pilot gave in and all six were loaded. However, even with full power, the little plane couldn't handle the load and went down. A few moments later, climbing out of the wreckage, Tam asked Bob: "Any idea where we are?" Bob looked around and said: "I think we're pretty close to where we crashed last year."

…Ha! Hello again, and welcome to the September 2007 Newsletter.

(If you receive this it's because we've had some dealings in the past, you're a personal friend, I met you in a pub, or because you've expressed an interest in receiving the newsletter… or all of the above. However, if you have no wish to receive further issues - just hit reply and enter "unsubscribe" in the subject box. I won't take offence!)
www.drewmcadam.co.uk

+++ I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat. +++Amazing: the three surviving members of the hard-rocking British band Led Zeppelin are to play together for the first time in almost 20-years. And an astonishing number of fans (around 80,000) every minute were hitting the Internet ticket registration site. With, literally, millions of fans trying for only a few thousand tickets, the system crashed.

That really is remarkable, given that these days most top-40 bands can’t sell enough tickets to fill a garden hut. Maybe the music of the time when I was hitting my teenage years really WAS the golden age. That’s certainly the case if the Led Zep ticket sales are anything to go by…

And talking of that era and great music, there was Hot Love, Get It On, Born To Boogie, Jeepster and so on. But this month marked the 30th anniversary of the passing of the wonderful Marc Bolan. I was a huge fan of the band T.Rex in general, and Marc Bolan in particular, as was my mate, Norman Tamblin. We LOVED the Electric Warrior album. Very few of you reading this will have heard Norman’s name before; some of you who were at school with me will remember a lovely, gentle soul.

Aged only 18, Norman had an asthma attack and died. It was the first time that our small group of chums, growing up together, ever came face-to-face with our own mortality. So Bolan’s music brings pathos, poignancy and joy. It’s something that only music – and a writer of music - can truly impart to the soul. And it’s one reason I give thanks for Marc Bolan. The man and his music.

+++ Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation. +++

One of that small group of chums (mentioned earlier) invited me to a charity art exhibition – raising funds for an orphanage. This old friend of mine – we’ll call him Johnny, but his real name is Eddie McGill – had a couple of paintings on display. One of them was of the island of Fidra which lies off the coast of North Berwick where we both grew up.

Anyway, I went up to the cash desk and proclaimed that I would like to buy Johnny’s painting. Overhearing this, he swelled with pride and pleasure… somebody had bought one of his paintings. I then turned and made for the exit. The guy on the cash desk said, “Are you not going to take the painting with you?”

Fighting to keep a straight face, I said, “Good grief, no. Just chuck it in the bin… the world will be a better place without THAT thing!”

Okay, I felt guilty at Johnny’s crestfallen face. But a few seconds later, he beamed and said: “It’s a contribution, isn’t it.”

Now, for those of you who think that was mean of me, let me explain that Eddie… Sorry, I mean Johnnie… is a couple of years older than I am, and when we were growing up he was able to make my life a misery with his cutting put-downs. It took me more than 30-years to get my own back on him, but I DID it Hardehardehar (evil cackle)

+++I got a phone call today to do a gig at a fire station. Went along… Turned out it was a hoax.+++

Gigs this month involved a trip to Coventry where I had the pleasure of meeting up with a superb mind reader, Paul Brook. Paul was fascinated by Aleister Crowley (No, actually, I think you’ll find I HAVE spelled that correctly!) and later went on to gain a degree in psychology. The result is THIS – enjoy the short video clip. I guarantee you have never seen anything like it. (If you have sound, you can hear Crowley’s voice, along with an explanation of what’s going on.) Please, enjoy Paul… http://paulbrook.co.uk/vid_crowley.htm

+++ The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. +++

It’s been a busy month…
I had a wonderful gig at Fawsley Hall near Daventry, along with a gig at Dunkeld Hydro, and another one at Dunblane Hydro – all wonderful, wonderful venues performing for some really lovely people. I also did a wee charity gig in Uphall, and a gig for my friend Sam MacKay at Bathgate Golf Club. That aside, I had a very laid-back performance in a lovely wee pub called Whiski, in Edinburgh’s famous Royal Mile.

Then there was a cracking little gig at St Andrews University. That aside, in the past few months I’ve also performed at Edinburgh University, and Cambridge University… can anybody get me on at Oxford? I’d like to collect the set!

Oh, and it’s about to get busier…
This month (October) I will be turning up at the Holiday Inn, Edinburgh, the Marine Hotel in Troon, Creiff Hydro, the Marcliffe in Aberdeen, then its on to Manchester and a quick exit south to a couple of days in Bournemouth before flying back from Southampton – with more dates coming in. If you are anywhere near any of these locations, let me know – I’ll be REALLY busy, but it would be great to hook up!

+++ Is it fair to say that there’d be less litter in Britain if blind people were given pointed sticks? +++

BOB DYLAN AN’ ME – HONEST!
Yes, I KNOW it’s another video clip – but, really, if you want proof that Bob Dylan is a HUGE fan of mine, then check THIS out! (And I bet you end up doing something similar…) Honestly, this is GREAT. Please take the time: www.dylanmessaging.com/messages/2GJ9-8S13-KT5H-518J-D0ZT?

+++ I saw that show, 50 Things To Do Before You Die. I would have thought the obvious one was "Shout For Help".+++

I have been told – but it’s not been confirmed - that there is going to be a great program coming up on TV. When I get the time, I like to go paragliding, and one of my associates over the years has an amazing tale to tell. His name is Ulric, and he is the subject of what promises to be one of the most astonishing stories told on TV. Ulric really IS an amazing person; and a joy to know. So please, put Wednesday October 22nd in your diary. BBC2 10pm.

Here’s what the BBC press pack said: The Most Extreme Race On Earth? (working title) BBC Two Scotland

In the summer of 2007, 30 world-class athletes began the most dangerous race of their lives – 850 kilometres across the length of the Alps travelling only by air, using a paraglider, or on foot.

Facing extreme weather and massive feats of endurance, the competitors crossed some of the most treacherous terrain in the world. Running, climbing and literally jumping off mountains, the event was probably one of the most extreme competitions ever staged.

For the first time a Scot gained entry to this amazing race. Ulric Jessop, originally from Edinburgh, faced danger, massive physical exertion and sleep deprivation all along the route. BBC Scotland gained exclusive access to Ulric's race. Cameras followed him day and night to witness this ultimate test of character which became as much a personal battle of determination and courage as a race against other competitors.

(Now, this has been given to me by a fellow flyer, Susan Craigmille, who is not the most reliable source of intelligence… in the nicest possible way (only kidding, Susan!) B– but I have had difficulty getting the dates and times confirmed. As far as I know, though, this is the correct information. Just keep your eye open on the TV listing for this. It’s going to be something really special, I assure you.)

+++ It's easy to distract fat people. In fact, it’s a piece of cake. +++

Oh, and congratulations to my new friend Mark Townsend; a mystifier with a difference. Mark is a priest in the Church of England who now uses mentalism as an expression of the deep human search for meaning and wonder. He recently appeared in The Independent and had a cracking two-page feature in this month’s Paranormal Magazine. He also very kindly sent me a copy of his book; The Gospel of Falling Down which is an exploration and self-help guide on discovering our inner gold through the cracks and flaws in our lives.

+++ If you ' re being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire… They're trained for that. +++

For our American friends… The mind of Uri Geller and the mastery of Criss Angel. PHENOMENON. If you are in the US then you will get this… Wednesday October 24 on NBC. “The search for the impossible begins.” You can check this little teaser... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5sRA6typn4 Looks GREAT, doesn’t it.

For the rest of us, we’ll just have to wait for the UK version… Watch this space!

And finally…
Last night my wife and I were sitting in the living room and I said to her: “I never want to in a vegetative state, dependant on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.”
She got up, unplugged the TV, and threw out my beer.

Ta-da!

Hey, I hope you all have a great October!

Best wishes to all,

Drew

No comments: