For those who have an interest - even if only a passing one - in the sometimes bizarre activities of Scotland's Top Mind Master, DREW McADAM.

Monday, April 30, 2007

March 2007

(If you receive this it's because we've had some dealings in the past, you're a personal friend, or because you've expressed an interest in receiving the newsletter… or all of the above. However, if you have no wish to receive further issues - just hit reply and enter "unsubscribe" in the subject box. I won't take offence!)

www.mindplay.co.uk

Drew McAdam: MARCH 2007 NEWSLETTER

JANE INNES
DAVID TOD
DOUGLAS GILLESPIE
NEIL GRANT
FRED MACAULEY
STEVE HARLEY
LINDA RUNCIMAN
DAVE ARCARI
DOUGIE MCQUILLAN


Hello everybody!

SICK OF CYCLING
As most of you know, I’m taking part in a charity cycling trip from London to Paris in May, and have undertaken to cover the 300 miles in four days. (My friend and energetic Cockney Rebel, Steve Harley, has just cycled through Death Valley and refers to my venture as “small beans”. He might just be right; but I’m a small guy!)

Training. Training? The weather has been unbelievable here; pouring rain and gales. Even so, I have sallied forth on my bike during the breaks, and it’s proving even harder than I had imagined. Did you know that being on a bicycle makes you invisible? Just as one example, the other day I was cycling through the narrow main street of West Calder and past a traffic island. A bus driver decided that HE could fit in the space, too. And he could. Just. It was pucker factor nine for me, though! (That said, he kindly put on his hazard warning lights by way of apology.)

So, I am STILL looking for you friendly people to sponsor the cycle trip. You KNOW it’s for a great cause. Building a school in Zambia for youngsters, many of them orphans to AIDS, who have to walk ten miles every day – and back – because they are desperate for an education. And when not doing that they are working in the fields. Seems like a great cause, doncha’ think? I mean… building a REAL school. So, you can sponsor me online – dead easy – right here: www.justgiving.com/drewmcadam (You can also read the scathing comments from those who have already sponsored me.) And this is especially for those of you who were going to join me on the trip, but decided against it – for whatever reason. You know who you are! Don’t make me name you and shame you! Several people have kindly sent cheques, made out to The U-Foundation, c/o Drew McAdam, 26a Society Place, West Calder, West Lohian, EH55 8EA. By the way, every penny that he U-Foundation receiver goes straight to the project. There are NO administrative costs. Jay and the guys use their existing business staff to do everything. Cool, huh?
Oh, and talking of people joining me on the trip; DAVID TOD of Full Circle Graphics didn’t even have to be asked. He volunteered; which makes him as much of an eejit as me!

BIG thanks to all those who have already chucked a few bob into the pot. You have no idea how much I appreciate your kind thoughts and generosity. There is a short “upbeat” video where you can see the kids who will benefit, right here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBYrXIkve4

TRICKS
Had a great little gig up at the Dunkeld Hilton – again. Fred MacAulay, Radio Scotland presenter and participant in Celebrity Fame Academy, was “doing his thing” at the same event. Good grief, he is a VERY funny man - and a nice guy, too. He was in the company of my manager, Douglas. Now, Douglas has a fine sense of humour. Just how fine is yet to be established after I managed to tack a “Kick Me” sign onto the back of his coat earlier in the evening. (A schoolboy prank, I know, but it makes ME laugh.)

A few days later, Douglas demonstrated his own (warped) sense of humour. You know those moments when a practical joke presents itself and you just HAVE to take it? Well, I was with Douglas, in his office, when somebody phoned him looking for a specific act. Give Douglas his due, he told the caller that he had a great mindreading act, and not only did he read minds, but he stopped watches, bent spoons, and so on. Douglas was taken aback when the caller said that she actually knew this person, that she had seen him work a couple of times. “It’s Drew McAdam, isn’t it?” At this point Douglas told her that he could do a wonderful impression of this Drew McAdam… The phone was then passed back and forward to me as this lady became more increasingly amazed at Douglas’ ability to perfectly impersonate me! Great fun!

NB I phoned the lady the next day to explain and apologise.

THE PAST CATCHES UP
You know those moments when you’re trying to work and some salesperson phones you? Well, every so often you get a really nice, positive, jolly person on the phone; they are a pleasure to talk to – the REAL salesperson. Well, exactly that happened to me when a salesperson for a training company called me. Within a few moments she asked what I actually did for a living, and I told her. “I was at school with you,” she informed me. And she was, too! LINDA RUNCIMAN, as she was then, is now married and living under her married name. Of course, I remember her as one of the “lookers” at North Berwick High School (waaaay too good for me!) Nice to know she is as lovely a person now as she was then!

DOUGIE McQUILLAN AND DAVE ARCARI
Those of you who know me will have heard me wax lyrical about Dougie McQuillan – the man and his music. He tells me that he is not long back from Cape Town where he went shark diving, climbed up Table Mountain and Cape Point, tried to drink all the red wine in the country and even went to see Cliff Richard. Of course, he had to stay sober for his gig, and long enough to pick up his fee. Hands up all those who think musicians have a hard life? Okay, not a hand in sight; that’s the way it should be.

And, of course, I know a few of you have already caught DAVE ARCARI do his thing – a sight and a sound to behold. Several of you have asked me when and where they can catch him in concert. He’s just back from California, but here are a few dates. Some in Scotland!)Wed 2 May – Nice n Sleazy, GlasgowSat 5 May – The Bein Inn, GlenfargMon 14 May – John Wheatley College, Glasgow (afternoon)Fri 18 May – The Moon & Sixpence, GlossopSat 19 May – The Simple Simon, WarwickSun 20 May – Katie Fitzgeralds, StourbridgeThur 24 May – Classic Grand, GlasgowFri 25 May – A K Bell Library, PerthMon 28 May – MAMAS @ The Crieff HotelSat 2 June – Ag Ol Anns An Achadh bike rally, West Calder…… and isn’t that just typical? Dave will be in West Calder. I’ll be in Paris! But, Dave, there is a key under the mat if you need a cup of coffee… but NO parties! J For more details, Dave's current gig list (always growing) can be seen at http://www.davearcari.com/

FROLICS IN FORRES
Had a great gig for some wonderful people in a little village just outside Forres. A visit to the small town gave me the opportunity of visiting my old friend (of over 30 years!) NEIL GRANT, and spending a very nice lunch time of almost three hours at the Italian restaurant of the “Mad Roman “I’ve been shot in the head, you know” Tony. (Best Italian restaurant it’s been my pleasure to frequent.)

Thank you, Jane for the opportunity of performing before your family and friends. I had a great time, and I’m sure they did, too!

Following that performance, I met up with Neil in his local; The Abbey, where the barman recognised me, and I spent another three hours bending spoons and reading minds. Tiring, but fun… and a lot easier than real work!

ENDS

No comments: