For those who have an interest - even if only a passing one - in the sometimes bizarre activities of Scotland's Top Mind Master, DREW McADAM.

Monday, April 30, 2007

April 2007

STARTS

This month:
Susie Townson
Safari
In the News
Marc Salem
The Lost Loch
A flying dog
Gigs this month
Graham P Jolley
Dave Arcari – again
...and a special mention. Ean Jones – thanks for your company. I had a ball!

Just so you know… This is the last newsletter before I head off on my marathon cycle from London to Paris. (So, next month’s newsletter will be a bit late because I can’t type and cycle at the same time!) I’m helping to raise cash to build a school in Zambia, where the little kids – many of them orphaned to AIDS - have to walk a twenty mile round trip each day to get their education, and then work in the fields all evening.

If you have already sponsored me, then bless you. I really do appreciate the fact that you are supporting me in what is going to be an arduous 300 mile cycle in around three days. I’ve been doing my bit and taking time off work to get on my bike, puffing and wheezing up the hills around my home town (managed 56 miles the other day, so I’m a lot more confident now!)

For those of you who have yet to sponsor me, thinking: “Oh, must do that some time…” NOW is the time to do it. Please. You can sponsor me online at www.justgiving.com/drewmcadam (You can also read the scathing comments from those who have already sponsored me.) DO bear in mind that it’s not about sponsoring me… it’s about building a simple school that, in the minds of the kids, will be greater than the finest and most imposing educational edifice that poses as a university. And you are giving a kid a chance.

If you don’t want to go online to sponsor me, then you can write a cheque made out to The U-Foundation, and send it to c/o Drew McAdam, 26a Society Place, West Calder, West Lothian, EH55 8EA. By the way, every penny that he U-Foundation receives goes straight to the project. There are NO administrative costs. Jay and the guys use their existing business staff and structure to do everything. Cool, huh?

ON SAFARI
It was glorious weather on a glorious day, so my friend, Li’l Emily and her mummy, Susan, headed off to the Safari Park. Not been to one in a while? Well do yourself a favour! The little lass certainly enjoyed seeing all the animals – and the astroglide. But, honestly, what a thrill to watch a 4-year old as she claps along with the Sea Lions. Her favourite, and mine, too. Grrrreat day out!

IT’S A BOY!
Congratulation to SUSIE TOWNSON and partner Jonny. Susie, who keeps wheeling me in front of TV production companies, gave birth to a little boy, Benjamin on April 3rd.
IN THE NEWS
This month, the Edinburgh Evening News ran an article “To inspire the public to take part in the Up Close and Personal Exhibition… an array of well known Edinburgh faces have turned their thoughts to their home city. Here they describe places which are significant to them and why...” The list comprised of Susan Morrison (Comedian and Talk 107 breakfast presenter), Karen Koren (Guilded Balloon artistic director and Fringe Festival impresario), James Thomson, (Restaurateur and a governor at George Heriot's School), Rhona Cameron, (Comic and author of The Naked Drinking Club), Alanna Knight (Detective novelist), Louise Hay (Edinburgh actress based in Los Angeles), Gary Mackay (Former Hearts midfielder who still holds the record for the highest number of appearances for the team)… and, eh, me; described as a Mindreader. Hmmm nice to be in such company, but Honestly!
Oh, and while we are on the subject, in the piece I mentioned my wonderful friend and mentor, PROFESSOR MARC SALEM. I have mentioned him in the newsletters before – and will again in the near future, with details of his forthcoming London show. But, for the moment, if you want to see a wonderful performance, here is a video of Marc when he appeared on the prestigious US 60-minutes programme.
http://www.marcsalem.com/movie.html I PROMISE you’ll enjoy it.

THE LOST LOCH
Wey-hey, a mystery solved. When I was out cycling, heading West across the Central Belt of Scotland on one of my training forays, the old track took me past a large body of water, which I had long suspected existed, but could never before work out where it was.

The story starts several years back when I was paragliding with a group of friends from the Pentland Hills, Edinburgh. I still don’t know exactly what happened that day, but there was a LOT of lift (that’s when all the air is going up the way.) We only had permission from Air Traffic Control (ATC) to fly at hill height – no higher. But for some reason, conditions were such that when I launched from the hillside I was lifted into the air and just kept going straight up. And up. There was a thin veil of cloud, and I ascended into it, and beyond. It was later reported to me that, from the ground, I just seemed to go straight up and then vanish. Tom, the school instructor, came across to my mate BILLY MCMURRAY and asked “Where’s Drew?” Billy pointed a digit skyward, Close Encounters style, and uttered the single word “Gone.”

While I was up there, I had a good look around – let’s face it, there wasn’t much else to do except panic and wonder when and if I would come back down. (?) It was strange; I was well above the thin layer of cloud, and the sun was setting There was no landscape detail, just the glimmer of the sun reflecting on the distant lochs and reservoirs. They were like pools of quicksilver on dark pewter. In that moment, caught in the breathtaking beauty of it, I was able to map out and identify each glistening, shimmering body of water. Except one…

And that was Hillend Loch, hidden away near Caldercruix, where I eventually found myself on the old railway cycle path… Mystery solved, and a wonderful memory rekindled.

LEGLESS
Do you, like me, enjoy really funny video clips? This is one of the best. Ever seen a dog levitate?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SN77b9DqEbc

GIGS THIS MONTH
What a great month. Several of the gigs were in the most prestigious, beautiful, historic venues in the land. And I enjoyed every one of them. There was my usual after-dinner nonsense at ARDOE HOUSE, ABERDEEN, Then there was a small private party at PRESTONFIELD HOUSE in Edinburgh. That house is renowned for its grandeur, but to be honest it would be hard-pressed to beat NORWOOD HOUSE in Aberdeen.

As I was leaving, and handing over the keys, I mentioned to the receptionist that the client was paying, and that there was no extra charges. “I didn’t even use the mini bar,” said I. “Oh, that’s okay, sir, says she. “It’s complimentary.” Nooooo! I couldn’t even grab the key back and run back to the room, snatching a pillow case on the way.

After that came The MARCLIFFE HOTEL in Aberdeen for a charity fundraiser. Certainly, I had a ball at all of those, but the really Big Gig of the month was at CHELTENHAM RACECOURSE, sharing the top table with the mayors of both Gloucester and Cheltenham, after which I had to get up reeeealy early the following morning and drive back to Scotland for a gig at HOUSTON HOUSE HOTEL. As if all that were not enough, I had a cracking wee private gig at ARCHERFIELD HOUSE – unbelievable architecture and setting and fantastic staff. (Justin Timberlake had been there just a few days earlier, apparently... sorry he missed me!) Then, to round it all off, there was a gig at DEERPARK.

Having finished the last gig, I rushed through to Edinburgh, and the Sheraton Hotel. I have always wanted to see one of the stalwarts of my profession GRAHAM P JOLLEY perform. And this was my chance. My, he’s GOOD. And better, he’s good, AND funny. And as if that were not enough, he’s a really, really, nice bloke. What a laugh I had with him… and he at me! So, if ever you get the opportunity to see Graham perform, grab it with both hands.

Oh, and in between all this, I attended a meeting with BBC Radio Scotland, which may – or may not – produce something of value. I was working with a lady called Anne- she’s lovely, sensible and has a real grip on what she wants to do… it would be a fine project, I reckon.

BLUES AND BEYOND
If you even just glance at my newsletter from time to time you’ll know that I have a wonderful friend called DAVE ARCARI. I know that those of you who have seen this nutter in action, on his steel-bodied guitar – have been mightily impressed. Well, two things… This Saturday the 5th he’s performing at the Beinn Inn near Glenfarg. If you live in Scotland, and can make it to the gig… do. If you don’t live anywhere near the place – tough!

And while we’re on the subject of Anarchist Arcari, Radio Scotland is broadcasting a programme.. and here is the blurb: The programme charts Glaswegian alt.blues artist Dave Arcari’s travels round Scotland as he puts music to Burns’ Parcel of Rogues poem and searches for the poet’s influences and history behind the piece. The story starts when Arcari visits Dumfries for a gig and is inspired by the Parcel of Rogues poem recited by locals in the town’s Globe Inn – one of Burns’ favourite drinking dens and home for part of his life. After a crazy notion that Burns’ words would work in a more modern blues-based song, Arcari sets about writing a tune that would sit comfortably in his National guitar-driven bottleneck blues performance.

But to really get the vibe, he needs to understand more about the song, the poets and, of course, the 300-year-old Act of Union between Scotland and England that the Burns’ piece is centred around. The resulting music is just part of the programme, though. For as Arcari travels round Scotland talking to local historians, MSPs and other experts including legendary Scottish musician Tam White, the resulting set of opinions and ideas provide an intriguing thread through the programme. So, who were ‘the rogues’? What do some of Scotland’s main political players think Burns would have made of devolution? Did Robert Burns have the blues? And what has Dave Arcari come up with? To find out, tune into BBC Radio Scotland at 11.30am on Friday 4 May. If you're outside Scotland and want to listen, you can hear the programme online live from the BBC website - you can also listen again for a week after it goes out...see http://www.bbc.co.uk/ scotland/radioscotlandA 'proper' recording of the resulting track will be released (download only) by Buzz Records on Monday 7 May 2007 available through iTunes, eMusic and many other download stores. See www.davearcari.com for full info.

ALMOST THERE.
So that’s it. Next month is one of the busiest I am ever likely to have, including Cambridge, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Telford, Aberdeen, Belfast and three days on the Isle of Skye. And, not to forget, that charity cycle from London to Paris… See you next month, when I will be typing the May Newsletter/ Diary while balanced on a very large, well stuffed cushion.

Till then, take care!

ENDS

No comments: