For those who have an interest - even if only a passing one - in the sometimes bizarre activities of Scotland's Top Mind Master, DREW McADAM.

Friday, December 29, 2006

October 2006

Because I meet so many fascinating individuals in my line, it’s impossible to keep in touch with all of you – more’s the pity. This newsletter is my way of doing so. But it’s not much use if you don’t drop me a wee note back to let me know what YOU are up to. So PLEASE do – I really want to know. It’s important to me. Okay?
Thank you.
www.drewmcadam.co.uk
01506 873013

HELLO, LITTLE FELLA’
Well, the big news this month is that I became a grandfather for the EIGHTH time. My daughter, Debbie, gave birth to a baby boy – to be called Billy. (And, no Billy "BB" McMurray, he is NOT named after you!) Hey, at this rate we are going to be able to start our own country!

DREW ON THE TELLY
A huge thank you TO Susie Townson for organising it, and to all of you out there for all the feedback: I had a guest spot on a special spooky edition of Ready Steady Cook on BBC2 this evening. Well done to Nick Nairn who produced six delicious dishes in twenty minutes despite my complete lack of skill, even managing to eject the prongs of the mixer into the bowl by pressing the wrong button, not once but twice. The demonstrations of metal bending and mind reading had to be done in seconds as opposed to my usual minutes; but they worked – just. Great fun!

DUNDEE
So there I was, on a Tuesday evening, at the Dundee Art Centre. The staff members there were insistent that there was no function there that evening. I checked the contract: Correct date. Correct time. Correct venue. I contacted my agent, who contacted the client, who realised he had signed everything for the wrong day. However, he was happy for the gig to go ahead on the proper date – three days later. Unfortunately, I had agreed to do a charity gig that evening. However, the client kindly agreed to make a sizeable donation to The Children’s Hospice Association of Scotland. Thank you – you know who you are.

ON THE TRACK
My very good friend Susan and I took a train trip to Skipton, and then onto an old steam line, where The Railway Children was filmed, and then on to Hayworth (where they filmed the lad-on-a-bike Hovis commercial, and visited the Bronte sisters parsonage. What a marvellous day out.)

CAR STUFF
My old car (two tone: white and rust) has finally had to be "let go" because of the mileage I’m racking up these days. However, the new car has power steering, leather upholstery, cruise control and heated seats; it’s not like driving the old dodgem. How long until I awaken from slumber upside down in a field? That’s the question.

UNLUCKY BREAK
Waaay back in (I think) 1975 I bought a single; Anarchy in the UK by The Sex Pistols on the EMI label, on the morning it was released. However, it had a little kink in the vinyl and I tried to straighten it out, only managing to snap the thing. By lunchtime, when i went to get a replacement copy, they had been withdrawn. As you are no doubt aware the single became a rarity. Well, some kind person informed me this month that a copy went for £10,000 at auction. Aaaargh!

IN THE NEWS
Fantastic coverage this week, with a full-page feature in The Sunday Post along with articles in the TV pages of The Sun, The Daily Record and The Daily Star. Thank you to all of you who spotted them and let me know.

SAD TIMES
Goodbye, Zeus, my old doggy friend. Miss you.

JOHN ARCHER
I attended a great night at the Capital Hotel, Edinburgh, where me old mucker, the inimitable John Archer, was performing. And what a performance. He really is a remarkable entertainer – hilariously funny AND mystifying. If ever you get the chance to see John perform, grab it with both hands.

ARCARI VIDEO
Right. Listen up. A lot of you will know how much I admire guitarist Dave Arcari’s work. His new promotional video is out, and you can see it here. It’s one of the best, most imaginative promo’s I’ve ever seen. So, turn the sound up, and log on to www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMKWW_Ng7w&mode=related&search=
I think it’s wonderful, and I guarantee, so will you.

WHERE I’VE BEEN AND WHERE I’M GOING
Gigs this month included a private party at the Norton House Hotel, an impromptu bit of nonsense at Cameron House Hotel, on the shore of Loch Lomond, and a great little gig at Fraser Suites in Glasgow. There was a showhouse special in Glenboig – with Colin Mcleod - and then a quick drive through to Edinburgh for a private party and a 40-minute performance.

Next month is looking very busy indeed, including: The Prestonfield Hotel, after dinner astonishment in Harrogate, Yorkshire, Glasgow Science Centre, St Andrews Bay Hotel, RAF Lossiemouth, four days in London and Kent, a car showroom in Motherwell, more after dinner nonsense in Ayr, and St Johnstone Football Club in Perth.

ENDS

No comments: