For those who have an interest - even if only a passing one - in the sometimes bizarre activities of Scotland's Top Mind Master, DREW McADAM.

Friday, December 29, 2006

June 2006

June 2006 Newsletter

BIG surprise. This month I turned 51 (I know, I can’t believe it myself!) and some good friends organised a party. There was a hilarious video tribute – and I use the word loosely – from a trouser-less top TV magician Paul Zenon. There was a great video from Marc Salem, Tova and their dog Sammy. Additionally, some that were not able to make it because of distance and touring commitments, sent various tributes and so on. I was really touched.

However, I really want to take this opportunity to thank everybody who made it along (and those who tried but failed), with special mention to Dave Arcari – who played a blistering blues number and won himself a new group of fans. Thanks, Dave, it meant a lot. Colin McLeod offered his own special brand of mindreading entertainment, and Gary James who was SUPPOSED to be enjoying a night off, but was asked as a special favour to do just ONE magic trick at the table for Pat Quinn, ended up delighting and enthralling everybody for half the night! Gary. Colin and Dave – thanks lads. Oh, and to the charming Len Murray... (Once described by a High Court Judge as the most respected pleader of his generation) how come all the girls love YOU?

XXX

A great deal was made of the release of The Omen on June 6. (The date is 06/06/06 – get it?) However, I much prefer this number. -0.80902 -- The Sine of the Beast

XXX
Few of you will know this, but one of the greatest mindreaders of the 1940’s was a guy called Dunninger. His US radio-based show regularly pulled in millions of listeners, and his voice was as recognised by the public as the then-President of the US. Well, American mindreader Joe Atmore had a stage show in Vegas in which he recreated the radio shows, as performed by the master. For some reason, Joe took it into his head to bring the show to London, and what a triumph it was! I had the pleasure of being there, and having a pre-show drink / meal/ drink/ laugh / pizza / drink with the cast; a group that included such luminaries as David Berglas, Marc Paul and Ian Rowland. I was accompanied by rising star in the mentalism field, Colin McLeod. And, just for posterity, I filmed the whole show. The perfect end to a perfect evening, Anthony Owen took Marc, Joe, Colin and myself to his club for a 40’s style drink and mindreading chat.

I had a ball... And if you want to come to my house to see the film of the show - and history recreated – then buy a ticket! (Just kiddin’ Joe!)

XXX
Some good gigs this month (thank you to my agents – you know who you are!) The gigs included Balmoral (The Hotel), Glamis (The Castle). A seance recreation (spooky, spooky, spooky!) The Waterside Hotel in Peterhead. Stirling (The castle) and the Menzies Hotel in Glasgow.

XXX
One of the more unusual gigs this month was a primary school. Two of my grandchildren, when asked by their teachers what they wanted to bring in for "Show And Tell", decided they wanted to bring in their Grandpa! Primary Five and Primary Seven kids make a GREAT audience! Best of all though was that I received a STACK of drawings and letters from them. Out of twelve kids who tried spoon bending when they got home, two failed, nine succeeded (!), and one got into the most terrible trouble and was grounded.

XXX
So there I was, sitting in The Green Room – actually the old King’s audience room – of Stirling Castle, when I heard the most wonderful singing. I followed the sound down to the great Hall, where I was going to later be "doing my thing" (By the way, any reports that I was dressed as a jester are gross exaggerations, and any photographs you may have seen have been doctored on Photoshop by Douglas Gillespie as revenge for R the F P (private joke!) – clear?) Anyway, there, on a raised platform, was the surprise guest: world-famous Andrea Bocelli, the blind opera singer. He was doing his warm up, right there, not ten feet in front of me. Unamplified. Straight from the vocal chords. Well, isn’t that the coolest thing? Well, no, actually. There IS something even cooler. At the same gig, I was bending this gentleman’s fork. I could hardly keep my concentration on the job in hand. The gentleman’s name? Astronaut Buzz Aldrin. And as if that weren’t enough, right there, in the same group, was the legendary Quincy Jones!
Thanks, Douglas!

XXX
My grandson Robbie decided he wanted to fly. He somehow managed to squeeze through a six-inch gap in a "childproof" window on the second floor – feet first. He then slithered through until he was hanging by his head, before freeing himself and dropped 20 feet onto concrete. His injury? A sore finger! For those of you who live in Scotland, the story and photograph SHOULD be in The Sunday Post on –eh – Sunday.

XXX
My wee dog, Hobo wasn’t terribly well recently; so off we went to the vets. Result? She’s diabetic. Just great. Two injections a day.. regular check-ups. Day-long stays at the vets.... To all bookers, promoters and agents. Some good paying gigs would be really welcome about now!

XXX
This, from agent David Taylor of Taylor Made Speakers:
Two Scots are sitting in the pub discussing Jock's forthcoming wedding."Ach, it's all going grand," says Jock. "I've got everything organised already: the flowers, the church, the cars, the reception, the rings, the minister, even ma stag night...Archie nods approvingly."Havens, I've even bought a kilt tae be married in!" continues Jock."A kilt?" exclaims Archie, "Och, that's braw, you'll look pure smart in that! And what's the tartan?" Archie then enquires."Och," says Jock, "I'd imagine she'll be in white...".

Which reminds me – I’ll be off for the first couple of weeks this month. I’m in St Lucia in The Caribbean, where my son is getting married. Beaches, palm trees, a volcano, humming birds, tropical rainforest, scuba diving, horse riding... I’ll be thinking of you all – no, honest, I will!
Cheers!

Drew

No comments: