For those who have an interest - even if only a passing one - in the sometimes bizarre activities of Scotland's Top Mind Master, DREW McADAM.

Friday, December 29, 2006

April 2006

Drew McAdam: APRIL 2006 NEWSLETTER
Tel: 01506 873013www.drewmcadam.co.uk


Now here’s an interesting thing. It will be worth phoning your friends at EXACTLY 3 seconds and two minutes after 1am on May the 4th. Why? Because you’ll be able to point out to them that their digital clock reads: 01-02-03-04-05-06. I’m sure they will appreciate the call.

Xxx

I’m shamefaced, but I’ve got to share this with you. I had just been picked up at the BBC Stage Door in White City and was been driven to the airport. I got into conversation with the driver (a lovely gentleman of Turkish extraction) who asked me what I’d been doing at the BBC. I told him, and explained a little of what I did. He seemed terribly excited about the whole prospect, and when we arrived at the airport he asked: "Do you mind – can I have your signature?" I was flabbergasted, but flattered, that somebody should want my autograph... until he pulled out the receipt book so he could claim back from the BBC. D’oh!

Xxx
Don Jack (sounds like a gangster, doesn’t he?) writes: "In our quest for world domination of the creative market, we are currently on a drive for new clients. With the latest and fastest technology at our disposal, our brilliant designers don't half get through the work quickly these days, but that reflects in lower design costs for our clients, so that's good - I think?I would consider it an honour if you would be so kind as to introduce my company to any of your associates/pals (preferably wealthy) whom you consider would benefit from our services. Our new web site should hold their fascination for a wee while, if you don't mind pointing them towww.ideas.co.uk or ask then to give me a no obligation call that would be great." (01324 716827)

All right, now, if anybody out there IS needing a real creative force that will make YOU stand out from the crowd, then I can heartily endorse everything Don has said. I’ve seen his work, and there’s a real touch of unique brilliance there. Believe me.

Xxxxx
Talking about web sites and things. PLEASE take the time to play with this. (Apparently it’s the most downloaded screensaver in The States.) If George gets stuck, just move him with the cursor. I guarantee you’ll be passing this link to your mates!
www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/georgie.htm

xxxxx
Gigs this month. There was an afternoon spot in Kilmarnock, in the grand hotel right next door to the football ground. I had a day off (well catching up on necessary paperwork, really) then off to Aviemore. The stage set for this one was mind-blowing. There was a whole aluminium lattice circle and pillars and lights, based on the set of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I was a bit concerned over this one, because it was for an audience of Norwegians. Now, anybody who has seen my show knows that I rely to a great extent on the use of language; so, I had to learn Norwegian phrases. Additionally, thanks to the hard work of those behind the scenes, two large video screens swapped back and forth between me, and paragraphs of Norwegian, explaining what the blazes was going on!

Following an overnight stay, I drove back, in the shadow of the splendour of the snow-capped Cairngorm Mountains. Quite a sight, really!

The drive back was my day off, then it was out to The Dalmahoy, and a gig for a small party of obstetricians and Gynaecologists... please, no jokes.

There was also a gig for The Cyrenians; an organisation that helps get youngsters who’ve had a hard time back on their feet. It was a great success, and the "yoof" seemed to really like it, this due mainly to the fact that Colin McLeod helped out with a 20-minute spot. And anybody who knows Colin will appreciate he’s a "cool dude" – the girlies certainly seemed to like him, anyway. Me? I was just the old codger holding it all together.

There was a great little gig at the Old Course Hotel in St Andrews, and then a couple of days later I had a fantastic time "doing my stuff" at the Auchentoshan Distillery.

And it was all rounded of rather nicely by a private party performance in rural Perthshire at a beautiful old private house – more of a mansion, really - parts of which dated back to the 16th century. Set in its own estate, with its own private golf course, it’s the sort of place where it’s ALWAYS a pleasure to perform.

xxxxx
Oh, and this month I attended a reunion of my old Church Youth Club. It was great to see so many old faces, people of whom I WAS, and discovered still AM, fond. By the way, it was for this group that I first bent a house key waaaay back in November 1973! Pity it took me so long to re-discover how much fun all that stuff is!

Congratulations to Stuart Farquhar who was married this month. Stuart, I sent you a text and then discovered it in the "unsent" folder of my ‘phone. It said something like: "Wishing you both all the best on this day, and each day in your future." Two days later, when I discovered that it had not been sent, I realised that you would be on your honeymoon and a text from me would probably rank low on your list of welcome intrusions.

ENDS

No comments: